Friday, April 9, 2010

Memories of a home in my life - Angelina - U1

My maternal grandfather was a poor Italian immigrant who, when their eight children were at the age of getting married, planned the construction of eight two-story houses in Pinheiros with his son’s financial help. The row houses were built in a closed street without asphalt in 1948.
They were eight very simple two-story houses of two bedrooms with a backyard with fruit trees and a small garden with palm trees.
I grew up there with my parents, uncles and many cousins. The dream of the family was get to educate their children and improve their standard of living. The life of the family was very simple at that time, without money but this union has made us happy. Games (for example: Jump Rope, Soccer, Handball, Red Hands, Hopscotch, Keep Away), birthday parties and also sad moments are until today unforgettable memories.
Several years ago the street changed, the street was opened by government and it has turned the street into an important commercial center. Some relatives have sold their two-story houses, others have reformed and have rented out theirs years ago. My grandfather had already died.
Five years ago, in 2005, I left my two-story house. I’m living in an apartment with four bedrooms in a Condominium in Pinheiros. The apartment is much larger and valuable than the old house. There is a pool, a beautiful and larger garden in the Condominium. This apartment is comfortable enough for us.
Nowadays there aren’t relatives living in those houses. Although the family is living in different places we are still very united. We are still the same people who built a lot in a lifetime in the row houses together. My grandfather managed to unite his family!

1 comment:

Paula Zogbi said...

Angelina, I´m feel quite sad with your history, ´cause it´s melancholic. The other hand, it´s very beautiful your familiar´s union and everything you had built together. Congratulations!
xxx
Paula