Sunday, April 25, 2010

Home sweet home - André -U1

My home is located in Freguesia do Ó, a neighborhood founded in 1580, being the third oldest neighborhood of São Paulo city. It's a neighborhood full of hills, in the Northeast part of the city, bordering the Tietê river. Due to the geography, my house is located on a hill, near Freguesia do Ó cemetery and Nossa Senhora da Expectação do Ó church, a very old church built in 1901 with a classical renaissance architecture.

My street is usually very quiet and peaceful, so we have a front gate that is just about 1 meter tall. We have a garden with a tangerine tree that is about 5 or 6 meters high, a very old grape tree and a lot of plants around the house. And talking about the house, there are two houses at the same building site. My aunt lives in the house to the front and my parents and I live in the other one at the back (the one I'll describe). It's a small two storey house, it has two bedrooms, 2 living rooms, 1 toilet, 1 bathroom and 1 kitchen. We also have a laundry, two garages and a small backyard.

It's a very comfortable home and it has its unique features... for example, we don't have doors inside the house except for the bathroom (for obvious reasons) and my parents bedroom (that is open almost all the time). It sounds like there's no privacy, but I like it because we don't have to bother opening and closing doors. It also feels like we are not alone (not talking about ghost stuff). Its second floor is well-lighted even during the night, because the street lights can be seen through the windows (and I like it). My house invites our guests to feel the house in a different way: There's a table in the wall and a "hole" connecting both the living room and the kitchen. And in the other living room you have to sit on the floor because there's no couch, just a carpet, pillows and a couple of mats. I love the way my house tries to be simple and functional. I feel strange when I see people bothering about having dinner in the dinning room and going to bed before they fall asleep and sleeping in a pitch-black noiseless room. So, that's why my home is special.

No comments: