Saturday, July 3, 2010

Maria José - U1 - Trave log: A TRIP TO MOZAMBIQUE

Ten years ago I went to Mozambique to visit my friend Mazula and his family. We had been introduced by my friend Nélia and then he became my close friend. We spent a lot of time talking about Africa and Brazil histories and we’ve found some close relationship between Mozambique and Bahia costumes. I’ve really learnt a lot from him.
He did his PhD at USP and when he finished it he went back to Mozambique.
Before going back there, he invited us, Nélia and me, to visit his country. We promised to visit him and I started planning the trip. I was very happy, because I had dreamt of knowing Africa, as many afrodescents dream.
I started looking for information about documents (visa), vaccines, currency… But I’ve found information about the country, too. I’ve researched about religion (it’s very important, because we should wear adequate clothes when we’re abroad), languages, food, health service, tourist places
Unfortunately, Nélia gave up the trip. If I intended to visit my friend I would have to go alone. I was afraid, but I decided to go ahead with my trip plans. In February I took an overnight flight to Johannesburg and then, another to Maputo, capital of Mozambique. Mazula was waiting for me at the airport and I felt a relief when I saw him.
In Maputo, during the day, I visited the downtown, The Municipal Supermarket, the University and at night I went to restaurants for some traditional food and clubs or met Mazula’s family and friends. I’ve bought beautiful handicrafts.
I managed to walk alone few times, because they were afraid about my security, but I didn’t have problem anywhere. Mozambique people were always friendly. They have Portuguese accent and enjoyed listening to my accent. They like our soap opera and are Roberto Carlos fans. Could you imagine this situation to me?
After Maputo I went to Xai-Xai, a district that has the beautiful beach of Bilene. There I saw the Pacific Ocean I felt an unspeakable emotion. At the other side of the ocean there was India…
Everything was perfect, but I didn’t have a friend to talk to about that amazing experience. So, I sent a lot of postcards to my friends and I could share a little of my happiness. At night I remembered my family and I missed them. I phoned my home, but it was very expensive.
Two weeks later, I went back home, but I’ve changed a lot during those fifteen days. That trip was unforgettable. I love Mozambique!

No comments: